To help you with Week 1 of our Healthy Challenge, I have a yummy low carb recipe to share with you today… Mexican Casserole with Cauliflower Rice! It’s full of flavor, easy to prepare, kid-friendly and gluten free. This dish is a great option for those trying to cut down on their carbohydrate intake.
Here we use “cauliflower rice” (shredded cauliflower) instead of white rice, which only takes a few minutes to prepare in a blender or food processor.
Did you know that you could eat an entire head of cauliflower and you’d still be consuming less carbs than there are in 1 cup of cooked rice!
3 ways to make cauliflower rice:
First wash and cut the cauliflower into somewhat large bite-sized pieces.
- My favorite method is to use a blender- add the cauliflower to the blender with enough water to cover. The cauliflower should have enough space to move around in the blender, so don’t pack it too tightly. Blend until it resembles rice, and then strain.
- Alternatively, you can add the cauliflower to a food processor and blend until it looks like rice. (Again, make sure you don’t overfill your food processor.)
- My least favorite method (cuz I’m lazy!) would be to grate the cauliflower by hand.
Cauliflower, like other cruciferous vegetables, is a great source of:
- vitamins (especially C and K)
- chemo-preventive substances which inhibit the formation of breast, colon, liver, stomach, and lung cancers
- omega-3 fats
Note: I’ve made this dish with ground beef, but boneless chicken may also be used.