This Double Chocolate Granola is refined-sugar free, packed with nutrients, and tastes amazing!
My daughter Asiyah is in 4th grade now, and I still haven’t gotten used to the 5:30 am wake-ups during school days. We don’t take naps during the day, which means she must go to bed insanely early on school nights, and things are often rushed in the morning. This granola is quick, nourishing, and gives her lasting energy throughout the morning.
To say that my kids love this is an understatement…let’s just say I have to make a triple batch about every other week. 🙂 In fact, I think they would happily eat this every day for breakfast, lunch, and dinner if I allowed them! Asiyah and my older son love it with milk, while my little guy prefers it over plain yogurt.
Look at all the goodness in this Double Chocolate Granola:
- coconut flakes and coconut oil: an amazing food with a long list of benefits, including preventing heart disease, cancer, inflammation, and infection
- nuts: packed with heart-healthy fats, protein, vitamins, and minerals
- chia seeds: one of the most nutritious foods on earth! They are loaded with fiber, protein, and omega-3 fatty acids
- cocoa powder: many people believe that chocolate is unhealthy, but unsweetened cocoa powder actually has many health benefits, including lowering blood pressure and inflammation
- honey: naturally anti-bacterial, relieves allergies, suppresses cough, and much more
The Problem with Boxed Cereals
- Boxed cereals are produced by a process called “extrusion” which uses high heat and high pressure to form the grain into the flakes and O’s. Extrusion destroys most of the nutrients and produces toxic by-products.
- Many cereals have vitamins added, but these are man-made vitamins that the body is not able to utilize. Vitamins should be obtained from their natural sources (fruits & vegetables), not from a cardboard box.
- Most are loaded with sugar, refined carbohydrates, and artificial colors and flavors. All of these are very harmful to our health.
- Nearly all boxed cereals contain GMO ingredients (Genetically Modified Organisms), which cause increased allergies, digestive problems, liver problems, infertility, and more.