There is an abundance of evidence in the medical literature proving the many healing properties of turmeric. In fact, a number of studies have shown turmeric to be more effective than many pharmaceutical medications!
What is turmeric?
Turmeric is a plant from the ginger family, native to Southern Asia. It has a bright yellow color, and has been used for thousands of years as a spice and medicinal herb.
Amazing Health Benefits of Turmeric
Turmeric controls inflammation
- Chronic inflammation is an important part of nearly every modern chronic disease. Eating turmeric can help you to manage ulcerative colitis, arthritis, high cholesterol and chronic pain.
Curcumin (the main active component in turmeric) can help prevent and treat cancer
- The American Cancer Society states, “Laboratory studies have shown that curcumin interferes with cancer development, growth, and spread.”
Turmeric can help manage depression
- A 2014 study showed curcumin (the main active ingredient in turmeric) to be as effective as Prozac in managing depression.
Can help lower blood sugar and reverse Type 2 Diabetes
- Curcumin has been found to be 400 times more potent than Metformin (a common diabetes drug) in improving insulin sensitivity, which can help reverse Type 2 Diabetes.
May help Prevent and Treat Alzheimer’s Disease
- Studies show that turmeric can clear Amyloid plaques–protein tangles which accumulate outside nerve cells in Alzheimer’s disease.
Note: Curcumin is not recommended for persons with biliary tract obstruction because it stimulates bile secretion. It is also not recommended for people with gallstones, obstructive jaundice and acute biliary colic.
Here are some more recipes using turmeric:
- Roasted Veggies with Turmeric Tahini Sauce
- Quinoa Chicken Biryani
- Easy Spicy Chicken
- Spiced Keema
- Moroccan Stew
- Easy Chicken Lentil and Veggie Stew